Tuesday, September 05, 2006

"He's a card!"

There is a guy in two of my classes with a tail. Like a big white fluffy tail attached to his trousers somehow. Ordinary guy except for the addition of a tail. What's that about then? He seems quiet and dull and has no discernable sense of humour that might suggest the ironic wearing of a tail. Today I noticed the addition of a matching white fluffy hat with cat ears and a red bobble; perhaps he will add a new item of white fluffiness every week until by the end of term he's a complete Furry. Next week I predict a fuzzy white spinning bowtie.

Ooh and there's a guy whose name is Robin Zander: Dance Commander! He goes around campus starting up mad dance parties and generally getting his groove on. He was one of the fire dancers in O Week, he did a flaming 80s number.

Then there are Fluffy and Pookie, who...are called Fluffy and Pookie; Rosie, who wears a cape and Roman sandals every day; and Cowboy Guy, who has an ever-present cowboy outfit and curly villain moustache.

There is a decades-long tradition of kookiness at Reed College, which is fully alive today and is always turning up random and unexpected fun. However sometimes I think people are being kooky for the sake of kookiness, different to just be different. I mean, if you like wearing cat ears because you find them aesthetically pleasing and they keep your head warm, that's one thing; if you're just doing it to be a wacky Reedie, then you can go away. It seems like a version of "I'm mad, me!" syndrome, which drives me up the wall. Am I being harsh? I really like all these people by the way, although I have only seen the grooves of The Dance Commander from afar...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I don't think you're being harsh: it's like those folk in High School that wore chequered shirts and bow ties 'to make a point' (though quite what the point was has never been unearthed), or the ones that ran around the Sixth Form block being all outrageous and whacky, labelling themselves as such, and thus guaranteeing them complete, un-crazy status.
Still, fluffy ears though. That's pretty special.

2:57 AM, September 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wasn't "Dance Commander" an Electric Six song? Have you been listening to Electric Six, susie?
Also, if you haven't heard, the Average Mediocrities won the Mercury Prize, so I'm pissed off.

4:28 AM, September 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Random question, but are you the Amy who made the David Tennant comics? If so, I bow in your direction, worship your shoes, and light a candle in memory of your fallen hairs after hairdresser visits.
If you're not the same person, then hello, just ignore me.

12:49 PM, September 06, 2006  
Blogger andetheriel said...

Apparently the Dance Commander's name is Robin Zander - doesn't quite have the same zing to it after you've heard Andrew Xander... *grin*

9:43 PM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger susie r said...

Is it really? I wasn't so sure about his name actually.

Well, Swati has spoken, I shall change it.

8:02 PM, September 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home