Thursday, August 24, 2006

Notes on food: Part 1

I find that one of the most pressing areas of cultural difference for people living in a foreign country is food. The international students talk about it all the time: how much they miss food from home, how they do a particular type of candy from the homeland but it's called something different, how Americans don't know how to make proper tea.

First of all, this being America, we found lots of fattening food in huge portions. Here is my new friend Charlotte holding a bucket of luridly coloured sherbet ice cream. We thought it was particularly gross, and there was a whole isle of the stuff. Supermarkets in the States have so much more choice and variety and generally go up to bigger size packaging.

Here is something we tried yesterday called Bubble Bubble Tea, which comes from Japan and seems to be catching on in Portland. See those little black spots at the bottom of the cup? Those are little balls of chewy tapioca. You suck up a mouthful of unusual tasting ice tea and then you chew up a bunch of squishy tapioca balls. Such a weird feeling.

Lastly I have discovered a new Reed subculture called the Scroungers. If you've just eaten in the cafeteria and have some leftovers, you put your tray on a particular shelf whereupon several people eat up yours and everyone else's spare food. They save a lot of money on board and it cuts down on waste food, but I'm not sure I could do it. I heard they only take one mouthful from each plate; that they have super immune systems from catching mild forms of everyone's colds; that last semester someone produced Scrounger trading cards with each Scrounger's strengths, weaknesses and favourite kinds of leftovers.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like Top Trumps with attitude. Maybe they're like Pokemon, and every Scrounger eventually evolves from Scrounger to, errr, Scroungoolon, or something,

12:40 PM, August 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO!! Fantastic, but totally crushed my ideas and cincepts for emo-mon...

A MySpace pose for each, and rankings for buckets of tears shed at a funeral for a friend gig, pants tightness, and combover length, was a work in progress!!

How be that chuck? Been waiting up late for you this week since I been on holiday, but I havent seen you on.

Si.

2:46 AM, August 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Pokemon is [b]so[/b] EMO:

"I wanna be the very best like no one ever was ['cos I'm, like, totally non-conformist.]"

12:04 PM, August 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bubble Tea features heavily in Animal Crossing. They're always yammering on about it.

My Charlotte says hi back (after your postcard), we're just sitting in her house watching Footloose and drinking Red Wine. Chris is busy making us chicken stew :)

I miss you already. Sob. But I hope you're having a great time.

12:08 PM, August 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Animal Crossing residents keep on telling me to buy Chic Furniture and get ready for the Big Bug Off.

3:01 PM, August 25, 2006  
Blogger susie r said...

Hello my chickens.

Bubble Bubble Tea is revolting. I would prefer some red wine and chicken stew. Having said that you can get Bubble tea with wacky flavours and crystals of some kind along with the squishy tapioca balls, so maybe I will try that next time.

The Scroungers are really polite. If you hand them some tasty-looking leftovers they thank you very nicely. I left one some pasta yesterday, I got a ray-of-sunshine smile.

Oh, and I have not really had time for msn. I pretty much just answer my emails in the morning and write a blog entry when I get around to it.

3:57 PM, August 25, 2006  
Blogger susie r said...

I found out yesterday that Scroungers have been a Reed tradition since the 70s, along with their trading cards. They have b&w cards from the 70s along with more recent examples in a glass case in the library.

3:46 PM, September 03, 2006  
Blogger susie r said...

P.s. Calum is funny slash gross.

3:47 PM, September 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bubble Bubble tea sounds AMAZING.
omg SCROUNGERS?
URGH.
That is possibly the grossest thing i've ever heard but definitely great for reducing waste.
blurgh

7:33 PM, December 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home