Sunday, August 20, 2006

Aaand I'm in a New Country.

Aah, this is all still a bit overwhelming. I am alone in strange country, there are foreigners everywhere... No, I am doing fine, promise. I got in last night pretty late (10.30ish West Coast time, 5 in the morning bodyclock time), picked up from the airport by my host family. Settled into my room, which is one of the smaller ones of the building, but still gorgeous and cosy.

The international students, all 30-odd of us, arrive a good bit before the rest of the student body. We've got an exclusive 3 days of programmed orientation all to ourselves, another example of Reed thoughtfulness, and I've been hanging out with students from all sorts of interesting places around the globe. There are 5 English students including myself here- another from UEA, one from Sussex and 2 from Nottingham. In my dorm there's one English girl and a guy from Russia via Thailand (who seems a bit of an arse), everyone else will move in Wednesday. Today they drove us to Target (a Walmart-style department store) and I bought a thrilling desklamp, and they also gave us a lot of free food. There was a dinner this evening with our host families, a buffet out in the open in one of the open grassy areas surrounded by beautiful red-brick dorms that this place does so well. I love my host family, they seem so interesting and eager to help.

I have to get up early tomorrow, which is a pain with the jetlag and all. I haven't take any photos of Reed yet, but here is me looking enthusiastic at Manchester Airport, even though I am feeling grumpy because I haven't had any sleep or breakfast.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waaaahhh! You're in America! *points*

5:59 AM, August 21, 2006  
Blogger britta said...

I should be noted that while Target may be a typical American warehouse-style shopping experience, it is not as terrible as Wal-Mart in many ways.

First, Target has given a mere $216,000 to the Republican party, compared to Wal-Mart's $1,732,250.

Additionally, while it has had a few labor issues, Wal-Mart has suffered from labor disputes, anti-environmental charges, and is on unsteady footing on women, gay, and minority hiring. Also, it's an evil monopoly.

Also, Target has great lamps! I have one myself. Only five bucks. It gave my roommate a blistering burn once, though. Be careful around those things.

(If that didn't totally bore you, check out buyblue.org)

3:48 PM, August 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home