Friday, August 11, 2006

One week to go!

Oh my god, I am flying to America in one week *breathes into paper bag* This would be nervewracking enough without the whole airport security thing, but that ain't helping. (Although self-centred and lacking in perspective as I am, I am mostly wondering whether I will be allowed to take a book on my 16-hour Continental flight. 16 hours is a long time without reading material, you know.)

Preparations continue apace. My Mum, as the only practical one in the family, sorts out insurance and bank accounts and various other things I can't understand, and I run errands and watch Season 5 of Angel. (Just saw the puppet episode! Woop!) I have also been trying to see all my friends in Huddersfield before I go. Yesterday we had a picnic in Greenhead park, everyone brought non-healthful food and drink for lunch, and also cider. (Drinking cider in the park: one of many honest local activities, upheld by generations, which I shall miss in the heathen colonies of America.) Cat also baked some cookies; seeing "Susie is ace" spelled out in cookie shapes boosted my self-worth about 15 points. Thanks everyone!

In other news, I got some info through speedy express mail about my accomodations at Reed College. I got a single room, which was weird, as I didn't request one and they only have a few. I did ask for a 21 year old American for a roommate (I want to learn about US culture, and also get drunk with it), so that must have been the tricky bit. My room looks like a palace compared to my last 2 years', and the dorm block looks charming too. All tucked away in the woods, like. Are you jealous of me? I think I might be a little jealous of me, and I don't even know how that would work!

9 Comments:

Blogger britta said...

Susie! My joy cannot be properly expressed! You're coming to Reed!

My mom called yesterday to say I had a package from a faraway island. It's on its way to me in Portland now. But to see your blog and hear that we shall meet again on a very different turf is the best news I've heard all summer. (I promise that California is not far at all.)

Anna Mann is the best dorm on campus. Your room far surpassed any accomodations I experienced at UEA, but it also surpasses most other dorms at Reed. Congratulations on your elite lodgings.

Give me notice when you get into town. I'm living at Reed now, and I can't wait to see you again!

9:12 PM, August 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're flying out on the 19th too?
Omfg, i hope they let us take a book.
I have no electrical current in my book. AND NO DETONATOR.

omfg your room is BEAUTIFUL. It's elite. And the dorm is like.. a big mansion. IT'S A FRATERNITY HOUSE. amaaaazing. just like Buffy's in The Freshman. I envy you. And it's single? Again, omg. and look at the BIG WINDOWS.

ok. i'm trying to contain my envy? srsly.. keep writing.

Sounds like your picnic was a blast and we already susie is ace.

Anyway, enough.
I look forward to continued updates.

1:39 AM, August 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait. you go on the 18th and i am stupid. the end.

1:41 AM, August 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok and i meant to say ^^^ that we already "know" Susie is ace. /end.

1:42 AM, August 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Testing Testing!...Ok. Got you book marked, and I've even spammed a poor
innocent friend to send you this, I hope it was worth it!!

Love you're room, but I'm curious how you're going to get that through
customs...?

Any way, I am writing you some bad poetry. HEAD FOR THE HILLS!!!

Speak soon.xx

2:21 AM, August 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adam Green is playing in Portland on September 15th at the Doug Fir Lounge.

You have to go on my behalf!

5:19 AM, August 13, 2006  
Blogger susie r said...

Hello...

Just to clarify, what with me being thick: I am leaving on the 19th August, this Saturday. Sorry Caroline, you were righter than me the first time.

What else for a quick roundup? Lauren, I will go see Adam Green if I can and harass him on your behalf. Britta, it will be ace to see you at Reed!

Oh the excitement of evrything!

I've been busy lately, but a new entry will come soon.

11:42 AM, August 16, 2006  
Blogger susie r said...

Ah Britta, re. dorms; I just remembered where you had to live when you were at UEA. The terrible prison/multi-story-carpark/deathtrap in icy conditions concrete halls, am I right? I feel guilty on behalf of my university, specially as Reed will be letting me stay somewhere so nice.

12:06 PM, August 16, 2006  
Blogger britta said...

Oh, no worries. All my friends thought it was so cool that I lived in a ziggernaut. I tried to tell them, "No you don't understand! It's five floors up every morning! And that's just to the walkway! It's another three floors up to my classrooms!" But they thought it was cool anyway. If only they had seen the size and color of the bathrooms. Then they would have moaned as I did.

But it all builds character, right? And i could climb from my window straight outside (or inside, when I accidentally locked myself out).

Got your package today! Rockin'. I love the cd! Susie, I'm frankly thrilled that you're coming to Portland in just three days. It's going to be a grand year!

10:00 PM, August 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home