Sunday, September 03, 2006

Homework Landslide

...she exaggerated. Things are not quite that bad yet, seeing as though it's only the second week of class. I have to tell you though, the workload here is a surprise, and it is huge. I have so much reading to do it's not even funny. (Why would homework ever be funny? That saying makes no sense. Anyway.) The worst is General Linguistics, I've looked ahead in the syllabus and there are a good few substantial chapters or articles to absorb per week. The readings for these first two weeks alone took me half an hour to photocopy, so I don't know how long it will take to wade through all that. There must be about 500 pages of material that is really very unfamiliar to me at this point, being a newbie at Linguistics. Then there's the other three classes' worth on top of that. I wish I was a Freshman.

Moaning aside I am really getting into the academic side of Reed. I'm finding it interesting to see the different approaches to familiar subjects they take here, and enjoying the freedom to take less familiar classes (hence Linguistics). The social side of things at Reed is great but I get the feeling I'm also going to stretch my brain quite a bit while I am here.

Ok, back to work. Thank god for Labor Day, eh?

P.s. If anyone wants my address but doesn't have it, email me. And then send me post to keep my English spirit in touch with the homeland.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There should be a postcard winging its way to you, and then a parcel thingy from England, but I'm not sure when I'll get that sent... tomorrow hopefully!
Your workload sounds pretty nasty, and Linguistics... ouch. That's like that Concepts in Literature/Literary Theory unit I did in my first year, right?
Or did I understand it to such a tiny extent that I can't even get that right?
If it is like that, I have some sheets and stuff that may be handy if you want them.
Enjoy your Labour Day; I'm eating chocolate in memory of Steve Irwin :(

5:17 AM, September 04, 2006  
Blogger susie r said...

Well I don't really know what your course was like but I don't think it's quite the same. This is all about language construction, syntax, and other stuff that I don't fully understand. I am about halfway through my reading now, hopefully things will become clearer as I progress.

Weird about Steve-O Irwin ha? I read about the whole stingray thing, what a seriously random way to go.

12:34 PM, September 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeh, it took all of five minutes for the first joke to be made too:

Steve Irwin was killed by Stingray; Troy Templar's in for questioning.

Good luck with Linguistics; that sounds kinda tough. I just hope they're kind to the semi-colon: It's a much abused punctuation mark, and it's pleasantly hypenated.

3:05 PM, September 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yeh, meant to say, my Concepts lecture involved a whole section of random interpretation, which is why I ended up buying that Why Cats Paint book; the one that involves detailed discussions on how Smokey the Kitten uses Catnip as a psychedellic influence when painting, or how Purrrfect purposely inverts Van Gogh's Sunflowers to create a distorted yet familiar effect upon the canvas.

3:11 PM, September 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home