Thursday, June 14, 2007

Redwoods

A couple of days in the Redwoods on the way north out of California and into Oregon. We took more of the coast road, following the 101 pretty much all the way. This was nice for my limited navigation skills. (Can I just say what a miracle it was that I managed to navigate us through 9 states without us getting hopelessly lost and ending up in Maine?)

We chose Jedediah Smith State Park (I always think if your surname is Smith you need a top-heavy first name) out of the dozens of Redwoods parks in the area. Kaia knows her way around the redwoods. We camped for a couple of days amidst the trees and by the river. Kaia is very skilled at campfires (she's a firestarter, a twisted firestarter), and we had pasta and jasmine tea over the fire, and red wine and fancy biscuits too.

The redwood trees were just amazing. It's hard to comprehend the size of them- hard to imagine without seeing one, hard to fathom whilst actually standing at the foot of one. It's like seeing hundreds of other trees in your lifetime hasn't prepared you for the gigantic exception to the pattern that is a giant redwood. They do encourage people to wax rhapsodic. The forests are very calming too, quiet and cool and peaceful. I didn't really take any good pictures.


On the way north from the Redwoods towards Ashland we stopped off at some fantastic place with square-sliced pizza (where was that?), and also at this completely mental store/gallery/treehouse emporium called 'Burl-esque'. They make carvings out of burls, those lumpy bits on trees, hence the name. Couldn't afford any of the stuff on sale, but we had a chat to the nutty owner (who advised me to marry some rich American guy so I could stay in the country) and played in the several treehouses they randomly had on site, apparently just so people could stop by and play in them. Below, see a three-tiered treehouse, and a wooden spiral staircase (and my powder-blue toenails). Eep, spiral staircase. Awesome.



Gosh I love treehouses. I think when I was a kid I believed my life would be complete and sublime if I had a treehouse. (And possibly some kind of super power.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Strange square pizza (from Wild River Brewing - not that you needed to know that) and Burl-Esque are in Cave Junction, Oregon, one of the many tiny, bizarre, ex-mining towns all over Southern Oregon.

If you even get down here again, Suse, I want to take you to the Oregon Caves for which Cave Junction is named. They're spectacular, and I know you and caves. :)

5:56 PM, August 21, 2007  
Blogger susie r said...

I do like caves. This is true. Can we have square pizza in the cave?

4:01 AM, August 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home